Want to Advertise with us? Find out more

Oh My! High school football semi finals serve up thrillers.

Hand picked match-ups could not have rendered better, more exciting results involving area teams than what West Michigan High School football fans witnessed Saturday across this state.

There were two overtimes, one game decided by a last-second field goal, another by a touchdown, yes, there was one laugher, Zeeland West subdued Comstock Park 30-6, but only led by 10 entering the final 12 minutes. So,  laugher may not be appropriate in giving the Panthers their due respect.

The upset of the day came in Big Rapids where Mount Pleasant exorcised a past post-season demon, as it rallied from a 30-14 fourth-quarter deficit to derail five-time defending state champion, East Grand Rapids.

The decisive score came with 11 seconds on the clock as Oiler kicker Zac Kramer drilled a 35-yard field goal giving Mount Pleasant a 38-37 win, sending it to the Division 3 state final against Orchard Lake St. Mary’s.

Pioneer coach Peter Stuursma, long considered one of the state’s top coaches, was long on class Saturday following defeat.

“We’ve had our share of breaks go our way over the last five years. They came up with huge plays and beat us fair and square. I tip my hat to Mount Pleasant,” Stuursma said.

In Battle Creek, Rockford’s Steven Mette’s 26-yard field goal in overtime wasn’t enough as the Shamrocks of Detroit Catholic Central responded with a seven-yard play-action touchdown pass from Kyle Cooper to Anthony Darkangelo. The score gave the Shamrocks a 23-20 Division 1 semi final win over the Rams.

“We didn’t get stopped. We kicked a field goal, but we needed to stop the play-action pass better,” said Rockford coach Ralph Munger. “I’m proud of the kids and how hard they played.”

A 13-yard pass from Gabe Dean to Blake Lyman in O.T was the difference in Lowell’s 42-35 win over Walled Lake Western. At least on offense. On the defensive side, the Red Arrows then stopped the Warriors from the 10-yard line, forcing four incomplete passes.

“It was the ugliest most exciting game I can remember,” said Lowell football coach Noel Dean.

Lansing Catholic broke up a see saw affair as it scored consecutive touchdowns late in the third quarter and early in the fourth quarter in posting a 42-35 win over West Catholic.

The loss snapped the Falcons’ eight-game post season winning streak.

Two area taams advance to Ford Field. Zeeland West will play Marine City in the Division 4 title game while Lowell hooks up for a second time in the Division 2 finals against Birmingham Brother Rice.